For a photo recap of the process
We successfully built our heating box which at the time was being warmed up by two space heaters.
Even with the heaters on full blast for over fifteen minutes we were only able to warp a small piece of plastic. We needed more power! We also needed to relocate since David had a term paper to finish up.
We moved our vacuum former unit to Neil’s garage and continued rocket tests.
We upgraded to propane with a dual head unit (we called him BURN-E)
We determined that we had more than enough power after we obliterated the test plastic after a few minutes on the heat.
After a few unsuccessful pulls we were able to make a near perfect pull from a thin sheet of styrene.
Since we wanted to have a clear rocket (so we could paint from the inside and adjust just how opaque it would be) we picked up some clear Vivak.
A fresh coat of paint for the fins.
The old tow light setup from the previous rocket was secured and after a quick test drive on the hood we were ready to go.
A size comparison between our new rocket and one of the earliest versions of the rooftop rocket.
After a quick stop at Johnny Cupcakes we headed to Hollywood and Highland.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Van needed a bit of assistance backing into place.
A special thanks goes out to David, who has helped us out with the wiring on our previous rooftop rocket and many other odd jobs, and Neil, who worked day and night to ensure the rocket was ready for the parade. Be sure to check out more of his work at Lost Boy Cosplay.
Thanks again Nate for letting us take part in this awesome event!
We’ve got a few more plans for the remainder of 2013.